We offer several types of bariatric (weight loss) surgery. Skilled in laparoscopic procedures, our team at Norwalk Hospital specializes in innovative techniques, such as single-incision laparoscopic surgery, and the use of sophisticated technology, including the robotic da Vinci Surgical System.
Weight loss surgery procedures available at Norwalk Hospital include:
- Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding: An adjustable silicone band (Realize Band™ or LAP-BAND® system) is placed laparoscopically around the top portion of the stomach. The weight loss occurs because the band restricts the amount of food the patient can eat while also decreasing the sensation of hunger patients feel. Unlike other procedures, gastric banding does not require any incision or removal of any part of the digestive system. It is a reversible procedure.
- Single Incision Gastric Banding: Identical to the laparoscopic gastric band, this procedure is done through a single small incision near the belly button.
- Laparoscopic Gastric Sleeve: This operation makes the stomach smaller, reducing it to the size of a small banana. With the majority of the stomach removed, patients have less hunger and feel the sensation of fullness after eating less food. Nutrient absorption is not affected since food passes through the digestive tract in the usual way.
- Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass: This surgery decreases the size of the stomach and also partially bypasses the small intestine, limiting how many calories are taken in. The “lap gastric bypass” is highly effective for two reasons: patients eat less and feel full quickly, and also do not fully absorb the food they eat.
- Revisional Bariatric Surgery: For a variety of reasons, some patients do not lose as much of their excess weight as expected and/or end up regaining weight afterward. When this happens, our surgeons perform a thorough analysis of the previous surgery, including a study of all factors that contributed to its ultimate result. If appropriate, a follow-up procedure, referred to as a bariatric surgery revision, may be required to alter or repair the initial bariatric surgery.
- Robotic Surgery: Similar to laparoscopic surgery since it is performed through incisions significantly smaller than those required by traditional surgery, the robotic surgical system allows for small, precise movements that bring certain advantages over other techniques. We are currently offering the da Vinci robot for our bariatric surgeries.