3D Mammograms Without a Referral
Screening mammograms enable doctors to detect signs of breast cancer before it causes symptoms. Nuvance Health imaging specialists use 3D digital mammography (breast tomosynthesis), which makes the fine details of breast tissue more visible. Many women receive 3D mammograms without a physician’s order.
To be eligible, you must meet specific requirements, which include:
- Being 40 years old or older
- Not having breast cancer symptoms, such as a change in breast appearance, a lump or nipple discharge other than breast milk
- No personal or family history of breast cancer
- An average breast cancer risk
Request an appointment for a mammogram.
Additional Breast Imaging Services
We offer additional services, including:
- Breast ultrasound: This test uses soundwaves to produce images that offer a closer look at breast tissue and blood flow.
- Breast MRI: A magnetic field and radio waves produce more detailed images than tomosynthesis.
- Image-guided breast biopsy: Imaging guides the needle removing a tissue sample, which we can then test for cancer.
- Wireless localization device placement: Radiologists use advanced localization devices to mark the location of the surgical area. This enables surgeons to locate the area with less disruption to healthy tissue.
Extended Mammogram Access in New York
Imaging centers at Putnam Hospital and Vassar Brothers Medical Center are designated New York State Cancer Service Program (CSP) locations. Breast, cervical and colorectal cancer screenings are available to eligible patients at no cost.
To be eligible for cancer screenings under CSP, you must:
- Live in New York State
- Not have health insurance
- Have health insurance with out-of-pocket costs that prevent you from obtaining cancer screenings