Problems in your heart valves or chambers can be congenital (present at birth) or develop over time. Other types of cardiac disease can also cause problems in your heart’s internal structures. Untreated structural heart problems can reduce your energy and your quality of life—and cause serious complications.
Nuvance Health has expertise in repairing structural heart defects including:
- Adult congenital heart disease
- Aortic stenosis
- Atrial septal defect (ASD)
- Mitral valve stenosis
- Patent foramen ovale (PFO)
- Ventricular defect
Diagnosis for Structural Heart Disease and Heart Valve Disease
We use advanced diagnostic tools to study your heart’s structure and check for any problems. Learn more about cardiovascular imaging and testing.
Treatment for Structural Heart Disease and Heart Valve Disease
If your heart doesn’t pump properly, you may need to have one or more valves repaired or replaced. Your cardiologist and cardiac surgeon work together to recommend the treatment option that’s right for you:
- Valve repair: Removing weakened portions of the valve, which is then strengthened and shortened to stop the leakage.
- Valve replacement: You may receive a mechanical valve or bioprosthetic valve (made from human or animal tissue), depending on your condition.
Your treatment may include minimally invasive procedures such as:
Ongoing Support for Structural Heart Disease and Heart Valve Disease
Keeping your heart healthy is a lifelong journey. We support you with follow-up appointments to monitor your heart’s function and ensure you’re feeling well.