Surgical Oncology Care at Nuvance Health: Why Choose Us?
The team includes skilled surgeons, many with fellowship training in areas such as advanced gastrointestinal surgery and breast surgical oncology. Some surgeons are nationally recognized leaders in their field. All surgeons deliver the care that’s right for your needs.
Surgeons work alongside other Nuvance Health specialists, including radiation oncologists and medical oncologists, to plan your care. The team works with you to determine the right treatments for you and the order in which you receive them. Our focus on your unique care needs keeps your treatment moving forward. Read more about cancer treatment and services.
Minimally Invasive Cancer Surgery
Minimally invasive cancer surgery combines sophisticated technologies and real-time imaging for treatments that are gentler on your body. Specialists use these techniques whenever possible.
Your care may include:
- Robotic surgery: This technique uses robotic surgical technology and tiny instruments. The surgeon controls the robot-assisted system throughout the procedure. This technology helps us navigate delicate areas, including tissue in a woman’s reproductive organs. Read more about gynecologic cancers.
- Laparoscopic surgery: This technique uses a series of small incisions, narrow instruments and a high-definition camera to carry out complex procedures. This approach is common for treating kidney and prostate tumors in patients who qualify. Read more about genitourinary cancers.
- Organ-sparing procedures: For rectal cancer, transanal endoscopic microsurgery may preserve the ability to have a bowel movement. For eligible patients, surgical technology helps us access and remove cancer in this hard-to-reach area with less disruption to nearby tissue. Learn more about colorectal cancer.
- Advanced therapies: For patients who qualify, we deliver sophisticated options, like the Whipple procedure for pancreatic cancer. Minimally invasive techniques make it possible to safely remove cancer. The team has performed a high volume of Whipple procedures. Explore pancreatic cancer.
Additional Cancer Surgery Highlights
Surgeons deliver a broad range of treatments and maintain high standards for care excellence. These capabilities give you access to advanced care that is not widely available in the region.
Treatments may include:
- Nationally recognized lung surgery: Lung cancer patients consistently go home within a few days of surgery and rarely experience complications. The program at Vassar Brothers Medical Center has earned recognition for its excellent outcomes from the Society of Thoracic Surgeons. Thoracic surgery is also available at Norwalk and Danbury Hospitals. Find out more about lung cancer.
- Breast-conserving surgery: Surgical oncologists specializing in breast cancer use oncoplastic techniques. These techniques remove cancer and reshape the remaining breast tissue in one procedure. Get more information about breast cancer.
- Procedures for rare tumors: You have access to surgeons who specialize in treating rare tumors, such as sarcomas. Our experience with these tumors helps us tailor surgical procedures to your needs. Find out more about soft tissue sarcomas.
- Reconstruction: Head and neck cancer surgery can change your appearance and the functioning of your tongue, jaw and other areas. Find out more about head and neck reconstruction.
- Lifelong follow-up care: After surgery for conditions like advanced melanoma, you may need ongoing care to catch new cancers as early as possible. Find out more about advanced melanomas and other skin cancers.