You have access to emergency stroke care, leading therapies and robust recovery services close to home. If you are experiencing an emergency, call 911 or visit your local emergency department.
You receive complete care, including leading stroke treatments and rehabilitation techniques to safely transition you back to daily life. Even if the stroke does not respond to standard treatments, you may still have options, including minimally invasive procedures to remove blood clots from the brain. Our services also include preventive services that lower your risk of a future stroke.
How to Detect Signs of Stroke and Get Emergency Care
Stroke symptoms come on suddenly and may include:
- Coordination problems, like dizziness and difficulty walking or standing
- Inability to speak or slurred speech
- Weakness in your legs, face or arms
- Vision problems, including blurry vision
If a loved one shows signs of a stroke, BEFAST and call 911.
- B = Balance off
- E = Eyes - unclear vision
- F = Face/facial droop
- A = Arms/legs
- S = Speech slurred, confused
- T = Time lost is brain lost
Call 911 as soon as symptoms begin. This is the quickest way to access emergency stroke care.
Nuvance Health consistently delivers care that meets or exceeds national guidelines, earning our programs national recognition including:
Joint Commission Certifications
- Thrombectomy-Capable Stroke Center Certification: Danbury and Norwalk Hospitals
- Primary Stroke Center Certification: Sharon Hospital and Vassar Brothers Medical Center
Get with the Guidelines Recognition
- 2022 Gold Plus with Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite with Target: Type 2 Diabetes Honor Roll: Danbury Hospital
- 2022 Gold Plus with Target: Type 2 Diabetes Honor Roll: Norwalk Hospital and Vassar Brothers Medical Center
- 2022 Gold Plus: Northern Dutchess Hospital and Sharon Hospital
Commission for Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) Designation
Northern Dutchess Hospital has earned the highest CARF accreditation level. This achievement means you can count on us for rehabilitation services that maximize your recovery.
At Nuvance Health, you have access to more of the services you need close to home. We offer:
- Emergency stroke care: Stroke specialists are available around the clock and come together within minutes to evaluate stroke symptoms. We use a team approach to coordinate care and help you receive the therapies that are right for your needs. Find out more about acute stroke treatment.
- Leading treatments: Nuvance Health was one of the first programs in the region to offer mechanical thrombectomy for complex strokes. Doctors use small incisions and sophisticated instruments to remove blood vessel blockages and restore blood flow to the brain. Get more information about mechanical thrombectomy.
- Rehabilitation: You receive therapies that maximize your recovery from the effects of stroke. Rehabilitation specialists develop a personalized plan that may include physical therapy and assistance from social workers. Read more about stroke rehabilitation.
- Prevention: Survivors face a higher risk of future stroke. Stroke specialists deliver a range of services, including monitoring and procedures when necessary, to lower this risk. Learn more about aneurysm, cerebrovascular disease and stroke prevention.
- Support: When someone experiences a stroke, it can impact their entire family. We help ease some of the stress of stroke recovery with a support group for patients and their loved ones.