Patient-to-Patient and Family-to-Family Volunteer Emotional Support Program
Help from someone who has been there
What is a peer-to-peer supporter?
Peer-to-peer supporters are people who have “been there.” They are empathetic and compassionate, working with those who have similar life circumstances to their own. Although the experience of one person can never be exactly the same experience as another, having someone to relate to can be incredibly supportive and reassuring. A peer-to-peer supporter, using the appropriate skills, can help an individual navigate their health journey from a physical, emotional and spiritual perspective.
Peer-to-peer supporters are active listeners who can help you facilitate self-exploration and decision-making. They are not acting in the role of a therapist or professional counselor, but they have received specialized training to assist them in helping others think through and reflect on problems they may be experiencing. Peer-to-peer supporters have the capability to provide patients or family members with any of the following:
- Connections with others who understand what you may be going through
- Awareness of available resources that support self-empowerment and self-advocacy
- A role model who has made a personal adjustment to illness and the resulting life changes
- Encouragement on how to maximize one’s quality of life
- Information about Nuvance Health, and how to navigate the health care system
- Personal knowledge of the Peer Supporter’s experience as a patient or family member