Weight Loss Surgery Requirements
You may qualify for surgery if you:
- Have previously tried other weight loss methods without success
- Have a body mass index (BMI), which is a measure of obesity, that’s 40 or higher
- Have a BMI of 35 and complications of obesity, like diabetes, sleep apnea or high blood pressure
- Are willing to adopt a healthy lifestyle, including eating healthy foods and regular physical activity
Weight Loss Surgery at Nuvance Health: Why Choose Us?
You receive care from doctors, nurses and other specialists with additional training in the unique needs of bariatric patients. The team includes board-certified bariatric surgeons, obesity medicine specialists, bariatric nurses, nutritionists and more. We work together to coordinate the tests, treatments and support you need before and after surgery.
Weight Loss Surgery: What to Expect
Although insurance typically covers weight loss surgery, you must meet specific requirements for it to be approved. Getting approval is typically a months-long process that requires testing, adopting a healthy lifestyle and losing a certain amount of weight. The team manages this process, so you can focus on achieving weight loss surgery requirements.
Here’s what to expect:
- Education: The first step is attending our online seminar to learn more about our process and the procedures we offer.
- Office visits: You see members of the team regularly, typically once a month. During these visits:
- Bariatric surgeons discuss the options that are right for your needs and together develop a personalized plan. Find out more about types of weight loss surgery we offer.
- Obesity medicine doctors help you make steady progress toward weight loss goals.
- Dietitians conduct a nutrition evaluation and provide healthy eating recommendations that are tailored to your needs and preferences.
- Behavioral health professionals help you break old habits, such as emotional eating, or address issues such as depression.
- Testing: We use lab testing to monitor vitamin levels and obesity-related conditions, like diabetes. You may need to see other Nuvance Health specialists, such as cardiologists for heart evaluations.
- Surgery: We typically perform laparoscopic or robotic surgery, which use small incisions and sophisticated instruments to make your stomach smaller and minimize discomfort and speed your recovery process. After surgery, you stay in a spacious and private room with specialized bariatric equipment, which keeps you safe and comfortable.
Ongoing Weight Loss Care and Support
Adopting a healthy lifestyle and preparing for surgery is hard work. We give you the extra attention you deserve, so you make steady progress toward your goals. The team stays in contact with many patients for years after surgery, improving their chances of long-term success.
Learn More About Our Program: Virtual Seminars
Our seminars are for people interested in losing weight through bariatric surgery. Get to know the surgeons, learn how the procedures work, what life is like after surgery and more. Watch our bariatric (weight loss) surgery online seminar.