The Rudy L. Ruggles Biomedical Research Institute Laboratory Research Program
The Nuvance Health Research Program at The Rudy L. Ruggles Biomedical Research Institute is a summer research experience for high school students, college undergraduates, and medical students. We offer a chance to “learn by doing” and work to broaden the students’ understanding of the research process and possible career paths by providing authentic experience working in an active research lab.
The goals of the program include increasing interest in biological sciences and medicine in students and helping them understand how scientific research is performed.
Over a two-week period, students will be required to spend five days a week at the Biomedical Research Institute performing hands-on activities under the guidance of a mentor. A typical day will run from 9 am-3 pm.
- High school students, college undergraduates, and medical students. High school applicants must currently be juniors or seniors in high school at the time of application in the spring of 2024 AND must be a minimum of 16 years old on June 1, 2024. Please note that students must meet BOTH class and age requirements.
- Have an interest in the areas of science and technology.
- Commit to ONE of the two-week sessions listed below, five days per week (Monday-Friday).
- Complete the volunteer orientation program and requirements at Nuvance Health prior to the start of the research session.
- Students who have previously participated in the program are not eligible to reapply.
2024 program session dates
- Session 1: Monday June 17 through Friday June 28
- Session 2: Monday July 8 through Friday July 19
- Session 3: Monday July 22 through Friday August 2
- Session 4: Monday August 5 through Friday August 16
If you meet the eligibility requirements above and wish to apply, complete and submit the Rudy L. Ruggles Research Experience application by the April 5, 2024, deadline.
To be considered for the program, you must provide the following:
- Completed application (below) submitted by April 5, 2024
- A statement, included on application form, as to why you wish to participate in this program and your career goals
Applicants will be notified by email to confirm application receipt and status update. Acceptance notifications will be sent out by mid-April 2024.