The American Heart Association/American Stroke Association awarded Nuvance Health hospitals for stroke services
Nuvance Health’s hospitals have received American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Get with the Guidelines® quality awards for stroke services. The recognitions demonstrate each hospital’s continuous commitment to ensuring stroke patients receive the most appropriate treatment according to nationally recognized research-based guidelines.
Nuvance Health’s hospitals quickly and accurately diagnose and treat stroke, and provide education for patients and caregivers so they can effectively manage their health and rehabilitation after having a stroke.
Levels and types of Get with the Guidelines recognitions depend on the evaluation time period and capabilities available at each hospital: Bronze recognizes performance of 90 consecutive days; Silver recognizes performance of 12 consecutive months; and Gold recognizes performance of 24 consecutive months or more.
Nuvance Health’s hospitals earned the following stroke awards:
- Danbury Hospital: Get with the Guidelines Stroke Gold Plus with Target Stroke Honor Roll Elite with Target, Type 2 Diabetes Honor Roll
- Norwalk Hospital: Get with the Guidelines Stroke Gold Plus with Target, Type 2 Diabetes Honor Roll
- Vassar Brothers Medical Center: Get with the Guidelines Stroke Gold Plus with Target, Type 2 Diabetes Honor Roll
- Northern Dutchess Hospital: Get with the Guidelines Stroke Gold Plus
- Sharon Hospital: Get with the Guidelines Stroke Gold Plus
In addition to Get with the Guidelines stroke awards, Nuvance Health hospitals have achieved Joint Commission certifications for meeting rigorous stroke care standards:
- Danbury Hospital and Norwalk Hospital have Thrombectomy-Capable Stroke Center Certification for endovascular treatment and management of ischemic stroke.
- Vassar Brothers Medical Center and Sharon Hospital have Primary Stroke Center Certification.
Stroke is a leading cause of death in the United States and a major cause of serious disability for adults.
“Year after year, the American Heart Association and American Stroke Association recognize Nuvance Health’s hospitals for helping stroke patients have the best possible outcomes,” said Dr. Paul Wright, senior vice president and system chair of the Neuroscience Institute at Nuvance Health.
“Our communities in the Hudson Valley and western Connecticut can rely on Nuvance Health’s multispecialty teams to rapidly diagnose and treat stroke and support patients during their recovery,” said Dr. Wright. “We can provide critical stroke care thanks to advanced technology available at Nuvance Health, and caring and highly trained emergency medicine, radiology, neurology, neurosurgery, nursing, critical care, pharmacy, rehabilitation and more specialists.”
Danbury Hospital, Norwalk Hospital and Vassar Brothers Medical Center have biplane angiography systems. Endovascular neurosurgeons perform life-saving procedures — such as opening blockages in vessels to restore blood flow to the brain — through tiny incisions with greater precision. Vassar Brothers Medical Center also has a portable MRI system to diagnose and manage neurological conditions such as stroke.
Learn more about stroke services at the Nuvance Health Neuroscience Institute.