The American Heart Association/American Stroke Association awarded Nuvance Health hospitals for stroke services
Nuvance Health’s hospitals have received American Heart Association/American Stroke Association Get with the Guidelines® (GWTG) quality awards for stroke services. The recognitions demonstrate each hospital’s commitment to ensuring stroke patients receive the most appropriate treatment according to nationally recognized, research-based guidelines.
Stroke, sometimes called a brain attack, is a leading cause of death in the United States and is a major cause of serious disability for adults. When it comes to stroke, time lost is brain lost — the longer a stroke goes untreated, the longer the brain is deprived of oxygen, which can lead to brain damage or death.
In addition to following guidelines to quickly and accurately treat stroke, Nuvance Health’s hospitals provide education for patients and caregivers so they can effectively manage their health and rehabilitation after having a stroke.
Varying levels and types of GWTG recognitions depend on the time period being evaluated and capabilities available at each hospital:
- Bronze recognizes performance of 90 consecutive days.
- Silver recognizes performance of 12 consecutive months.
- Gold recognizes performance of 24 consecutive months or more.
- Vassar Brothers Medical Center (VBMC): GWTG Stroke Gold Plus with Target: Type 2 Diabetes Honor Roll
- Putnam Hospital: GWTG Stroke Gold Plus
- Northern Dutchess Hospital: GWTG Stroke Silver Plus
- Norwalk Hospital: GWTG Stroke Gold Plus with Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite
- Danbury Hospital: GWTG Stroke Silver Plus
- Sharon Hospital: GWTG Stroke Silver Plus
In addition to achieving GWTG stroke care standards, VBMC, Norwalk Hospital, Danbury Hospital and Sharon Hospital have earned Primary Stroke Center certifications from the Joint Commission.
Nuvance Health also has advanced technology to diagnose, manage and treat stroke patients including a portable MRI system at VBMC, and biplane angiography systems at VBMC and Norwalk Hospital.
Learn more about stroke services at Nuvance Health.