The Health Information Exchange and you
To share or not to share information?
More and more, patients are signing up for Health Information Exchanges. Here’s why:
- Participating healthcare practitioners can access your health record
- Nationwide connectivity means that your information is more accessible to participating providers
- Reduces time spent tracking down your health information, providing you with faster, better care
- If you have an emergency or are unable to provide health information, your care team may be able to locate it immediately
- May save time and the hassle of filling out health history forms when seeing new healthcare providers
Your information is secure.
The HIEs take your privacy and security very seriously. In fact, HIEs such as CommonWell® have no clinical repository, and rely on strict patient matching tools using standards for data transmission to help ensure your information is secure when sending it through our HIEs.
What patient data will be shared?
In order to provide a comprehensive health history, we don’t have the option to exclude specific visits, tests or episodes of care. Some of the data shared with the HIEs include:
- Records of allergies and drug reactions
- Medication and immunization history
- Diagnostic and treatment records
- Procedure records
- Record of problems and diagnoses
- Notes from your care team
It's your choice.
Of course, participation is optional. If you enroll now, but later change your mind and want to opt out, simply contact your provider’s office.
If you don’t want to participate, your health information will not be available through the HIEs that Nuvance Health participates with, including CommonWell® , Connie and HealtheConnections. Your clinical care at Nuvance Health will not be affected, although it may affect the information available to your care teams outside of Nuvance Health.