Speech and Swallowing Services, Individualized to Your Needs
We understand the importance of taking your whole health into account before developing a treatment plan. The licensed speech pathologists at Nuvance Health recognize that communication difficulty can occur as a result of:
Advanced Methods to Enhance Your Progress
- Alzheimer’s and other dementias
- Head and neck cancers
- Neurological diseases such as Parkinson’s, ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) and multiple sclerosis
- Pediatric developmental delays
- Stroke, brain tumor or head injury
- Voice disorders, including spasmodic dysphasia, vocal cord paralysis or weakness and chronic hoarseness
You receive individual treatment, education, counseling and follow-up for a variety of communication impairments. We use advanced techniques, special equipment and robust methods such as the Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT®)–LOUD program for Parkinson’s Disease to help you achieve your specific communication goals.
Specialized Treatments to Regain Your Voice
The team uses speech language assessments to understand the severity and type of issues you face. You receive compassionate care from skilled specialists to help you achieve your speech and swallowing goals.
Therapies for your voice may involve:
- Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT®)—LSVT Loud
- Speak Out™ and LOUD Crowd
- SPEAK OUT! is a therapy regimen specifically designed for people with Parkinson’s disease. The goal of this treatment is to improve communication by making speech a more intentional task.. A speech pathologist will assess your current status during an evaluation and provide information regarding your treatment. An initial evaluation can be scheduled with an order from your referring doctor.
- LOUD Crowd is the group therapy portion of the program that provides maintenance for skills obtained during SPEAK OUT! LOUD Crowd is offered at no charge to SPEAK OUT! graduates.
- The SPEAK OUT! & LOUD Crowd therapy regimens were developed at Parkinson Voice Project. You can visit their website here.
- Visipitch software voice analysis
Additional services include:
- Electrolarynx training
- Pediatric speech and language evaluation and treatment
- Speech generating device training
- Tracheoesophageal prosthesis for voice restoration
Skilled Support for Dysphagia
Difficulty swallowing (dysphagia) affects as many as one in three adults. Symptoms include difficulty chewing, coughing when eating, choking or pain when swallowing. Dysphagia can result in health risks such as malnutrition, weight loss, dehydration or aspiration pneumonia.
At Nuvance Health, you receive a thorough evaluation to determine why you have difficulty swallowing and to identify potential therapies. Speech and swallowing therapists work closely with you to develop a personalized treatment plan that may bring you relief.
Treatment options may include:
- Head and neck posture recommendations
- Diet containing foods and liquids that are easier to swallow
- McNeill Dysphagia Treatment Program
- Fiberoptic endoscopic evaluation of swallowing (FEES)
- Modified barium swallow studies (MBS)
Therapy for Infants and Young Children
You also access skilled support for infants or young children who have difficulty eating or a strong dislike of food. The speech therapy team conducts pediatric feeding evaluations, which can help determine:
- Best feeding position for a newborn or infant
- Most appropriate type of nipple to allow safe swallowing and coordinated breathing
- Ways to introduce different food textures and allow children to get used to new sensations in their mouths